Friday, January 25, 2013

Nursery Mood Boards

I've been working on a nursery for a very special little girl who will be born this spring. Normally I start the design process by sharing inspiration photos with the client to get a sense of what they do and don't like and what direction to take with the space. In this case my client shared up front that she was drawn to Serena & Lily's Lola Bedding and that her husband had some Alexander Calder prints (similar here) that he was thinking might be good for the nursery. I felt inspired by these two very different jumping off points and created two separate mood boards for them to get a sense of what a room might look like if designed around either of those items.

(Here is the board inspired by the Lola crib Bumper)



(And this is the Calder board)

Not surprisingly they liked elements from each of the boards and wanted to try to bring some of the energy from the Calder board and blend that in with the softness of the Lola board. The mom-to-be also really liked the bird fabric from the Calder inspired room and felt like she wanted to explore some alternatives to the Lola bedding. Here is the next board I made for them:




We are continuing to tweak and refine the design. I hope to share more as the process moves along. And I really can't wait to meet the little girl who all of this is for!



1 comment:

  1. I love it! Nurseries don't have to be all kittens and ABC's. Way to mix it up and give babies a cooler introduction to the world.

    ReplyDelete